Domestic Violence Statistics
- Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been victims of (some form of) physical violence by an intimate partner within their lifetime.
- 1 in 5 women and 1 in 7 men have been victims of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
- 1 in 7 women and 1 in 18 men have been stalked by an intimate partner during their lifetime to the point in which they felt very fearful or believed that they or someone close to them would be harmed or killed.
- On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.
- The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%.
- Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
- Women between the ages of 18- 24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner.
- 19% of domestic violence involves a weapon.
- Domestic victimization is correlated with a higher rate of depression and suicidal behavior.
- Only 34% of people who are injured by intimate partners receive medical care for their injuries.
Intimate Partner Physical Abuse
- More than 10 million American are victims of physical violence annually.
- 20 people are victims of physical violence every minute in the United States.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men is a victim of some form of physical violence by an intimate partner during their lifetimes.
- 76% of intimate partner physical violence victims are female; 24% are male.
- 1 in 7 women and 1 in 18 men are severely injured by intimate partners in their lifetimes.
- Domestic violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime in the United States.
- Domestic violence is most common among women aged 18- 24 and 25-34.
- A majority of physical abuse is committed by dating partners rather than spouses.
- More than 75% of women aged 18-49 who are abused were previously abused by the same perpetrator.
- Intimate partner physical abuse has declined 67% since the passage of the Violence Against Women Act in 1994.
- Slightly more than half of intimate partner physical violence is reported to law enforcement.
Children and Domestic Violence
- 1 in 15 children are exposed to intimate partner violence each year, and 90% these children are eyewitnesses to this violence.